9 Tear Free Tricks for Cutting Onions
Have you ever dreaded cutting an onion (pyaaz) for the fear of irritation and watering of your eyes? Or rather do you run away from the room if someone is about to cut an onion (pyaaz)?
First, before starting with the 9 Tear Free Tricks for cutting onions, let’s have a brief look at what is this onion (pyaaz) which imparts great flavour to the dish but always gives us tears while cutting it.
Onion (pyaaz) is one of the most widely cultivated vegetable around the world. It’s been cultivated for almost 7000 years. It is used in almost every cuisine in the world There are different types of onions (pyaaz) like red, white, shallots, etc. But there is one thing in common for all these different types of onions (pyaaz). Whenever you cut them, you get tears in your eyes. This is because while cutting onions (pyaaz), they emit certain compounds which cause irritation in the lacrimal glands, which cause tears in our eyes.
Let me share 9 tear free tricks for cutting onions (pyaaz) and you shall never have to dread cutting it ever again.
- Keep an unlit match stick between your teeth. As the effect of the match stick wears off, put another one in your mouth.
- Use a sharp knife, as it crushes less cells of the onion (pyaaz) which will lead to lesser amounts of irritants being released.
- Use your swimming googles or special onion (pyaaz) cutting googles available on Amazon.
- Peel the onion(pyaaz) under running water (paani) and wash it thoroughly. This helps in dissolving the sulphur compounds.
- Cut the onions (pyaaz) on a cold stove top and switch on the chimney or the exhaust fan, it will suck the sulphuric compounds.
- Freeze it 15 minutes before cutting. It could be a little difficult to remove the outer layer of the onion before chopping.
- Put a piece of bread in your mouth as it would absorb the sulphuric compounds before they reach your eyes.
- Rub lemon (nimbu) juice on the blade of the knife as it dissipates the sulphuric compounds.
- Rub the chopping board with vinegar before cutting it.
These are the 9 tear free tricks for cutting onions (pyaaz). Hopefully, you can also have a tear free time while cutting onions (pyaaz) using these tricks.
Do let us know, if these tricks helped you. Your feedback helps us in doing our job better.
Here’s a link to another tip and trick, 15 Best Cooking Hacks for Everyone.
Till then Happy Chopping!!!